(I am still struggling to keep my blog going but I wanted to note this...)
This past Friday night I took Piper and Cohen to a local park for a benefit for a local woman who is battling cancer. I do not know this woman but she is close with several of my friends so I feel like I know her and wanted to donate food, time, etc. to the cause. It was a hugely successful event with hundreds of people and it ended up raising well over $25,000!
All that being said, I sat a watched my 2 older kids play and interact with the variety of other childeren that came and went and I was so impressed with them (I cannot always say that whenwehave been out in public!). They were kind and took turns and didn't even argue with each other!
But once there were about 10 kids on the "merry-go-round," you know that spinning contraption where a bunch of kids get on and one runs and spins it around as fast as humanly possible. Well, both my kids were on it and an older boy, maybe 10 years old, was spinning it so fast that Cohen went flying off the side. But instead of running to help my child, this older boy screams, "What's wrong with you FREAK?" I was sitting there very close to the accident and knew Cohen was not really physically hurt but his feelings definitely took a hit! Cohen looked up at me and tears welled up in his eyes and then it happened, in front of all those other kids, he climbed up into my lap to seek comfort for his wounded heart.
He cried for just a minute but he sat with me much longer before he was ready to brave the crowd again. I am not sure why it hit me like it did, but I realized that at his age *I* can still make it all better and he can still seek comfort in Mommy's arms. I know there will be a day when I am "old news" and "don't understand" according to my kids but right now I am Mommy, fixer of all things broken!
I should also mention that the older, name-calling kid looked very ashamed upon noticing his victim's mother watched the incident unfold and heard every word. I gave him the motherly glare but said nothing. He knew!
No comments:
Post a Comment